My Childhood Church

12/25/2009 11:00:23 AM

I guess It’s time to write a little more about my church.

Where was I?

Oh ya, upon first reading and rereading my first post, I wrote about St. Petri, my 1st church.

My cousin Wally even made a post, so that encourages me to write some more.

Currently, I’m reclining in my bathrobe in the presence of my family, Mark & Sally.
We are basically snowbound today. My duck feeding will have to be delayed.
Sally & Mark will open presents tomorrow from what I’ve heard.

How can you NOT think about Christmas without thinking of Christmas’s past and your church?

Did you know that my parents are buried in St. Petri Bruce SD? Yes, indeed, I plan to have a tombstone right next to my parents. The instructions are on my bucket list as posted on the web.

The full address is www.myownfaith2.com/bucket and merely click on the latest version.

On or around the 1950’s St. Petri merged with Grace Lutheran Bruce SD. I vaguely remember the move. I do remember going to church with my parents and sitting in the west wing, the St. Petri addition. I remember seeing my neighbors sitting with us. They were all St. Petri folks. The Grace Lutheran folks sat in the main part. I guess there were prejudices back then also. J

One Sunday morning I sat in the back row, with my classmate Sharon Rust. We were flirting with each other. Pastor Bersagel stopped right in the middle of his sermon and told us to behave. Imagine that !!

I was confirmed at the age of 15, which would be 1960 I believe. We had confirmation classes for two years straight. The classes were on a Saturday, if my memory serves me correct. I would like to play footsies with Sharon. We would flirt with each other. I loved Sharon back then. I still love her, some 59 years later.

Sharon went on to marry Jim Steffin and I married Sally. We still get together at Honey Days and laugh about those days.

In the summer of 1960, Keith Loomis and I and some of my friends attended NESODAK bible camp. Sharon also attended bible camp that year, if my memory serves me correct.

12/25/2009 12:22:03 PM

It’s later and I’m back from trying to move snow.

We’re currently watching the birth of Jesus on FOX/TV

Now getting back to my youth and my church.

After attending Bible Camp in the summer of 1960, my friend Keith got killed in a tractor accident. The story is Keith and another friend were horse playing around and the tractor rolled over him. I was not there. I remember Les Moe came over to my parents and asked them if I would be Keith’s pallbearer.

The first week of school, I had to be Keith’s pallbearer I remember David Tillgren was another pallbearer. I remember viewing Keith in the little closet room. David finally told me that we needed to go into the sanctuary and be seated.

The Loomis families were sitting in the St. Petri area. The pallbearers were seated in the front row on the left side. We were very sad. My friend and confidant from bible school was with Jesus.

I turned my life over to Jesus during that time frame. Before that death, I knew only of Jesus in knowledge from HAVING to go to church.

12/25/2009 2:16:03 PM


I have created a folder name on my laptop called “myownchurch” to eventually copy/paste my writings to this blog.

Where was I?

I was writing about my church and the relationship I have had with my Lord.

I was a freshman at Bruce SD in the fall of 1960 when I walked over to our church to visit Keith for the final time.

Later on in the privacy of my upstairs farm home, I turned my life over to Jesus. I remember reading somewhere in scripture, My peace I give to you, not as the world gives, do I give to you. I felt an overwhelming sense of peace in my heart after reading the bible and that particular verse. I don’t even know the chapter/verse in scripture. If someone reading this, could you reply? .. Thanks.

So I turned my life over to Jesus, and if you want to call it being born again, so be it. Remember, I’m a Lutheran. I didn’t even know what being reborn meant. I just remember having peace in my heart. There was no bells, whistles or anything. Oral Roberts didn’t even place his hands on me to be healed!

I remember being confirmed without my good friend Keith. I think there was around a dozen or so of us being confirmed. I remember the Loomis family could not attend the confirmation Sunday, too painful. Keith’s older brother, Bryce, still lives in Bruce. Bryce married a local girl, an Eighmy., I think. Keith Loomis is buried at the Estelline SD cemetery. At some point in my photography life, I believe I have taken a picture of his tombstone. I have visited the cemetery, as I know a number of names. I might try to find his picture also somewhere.

12/25/2009 3:11:20 PM
MY CHILDHOOD:

All in all, my childhood was one of joy. It doesn’t get any better than this, like John Madden used to say

My church going was one of expectations from my parents. It was a formality. There was never a reason NOT to attend church, unless you could feign sickness. You’d better be sick too!

I remember once when I was out partying late on a Saturday, I got home around 5:30 AM on a Sunday. I thought I would be real quiet and sneak in to my bedroom.

MOM was awaiting for me with tears in her eyes. She was relieved to see me. I apologized to her. My mother is a goddess.

Two and ½ hours later my father was pounding the steps for me to get up. Church was in ½ hour. Needless to say, I was one tired young man. I have no idea what the service was like that particular Sunday.

I do remember I was riding around with Paul Anderson in Watertown SD or somewhere. We had an argument about our faith. I lost. No, I was not drunk. We used to drive around various towns looking for entertainment. Living in the country, we would drive for miles and miles. I never did find anything fun.

I realized later on in my life that finding entertainment was within my own heart. As long as Jesus was in my heart, why go anywhere? The Bible was right on the kitchen table. What more entertainment does one need?


12/25/2009 3:46:35 PM

I’ve rambled on long enough for now.

Merry Christmas to anyone reading this.

Remember to be nice to me on any replies…. OK?

Post to:

http://myownchurch@blogspot.com

Comments

  1. UFF-DA ... My mother is still alive !!! She has a tombstone with her name on it, right next to DAD and Ole & Regina Holter, my grandparents. I did not know them.

    myron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Christmas Day evening!

    Well, I could point you to the verse (off hand it sounds a bit like John . . . 14:27, maybe) - but I thought I'd show you a neat way to look it up on the internet:

    Go to http://www.biblegateway.com and click on the "Keyword Search" link. Put in your phrase "My peace I give to you" (using the quotes [the search defaults to "Match ALL Words" and you also have the option to "Match whole words only"; I also most often "Search in multiple versions" {there are at least 100 versions available}]), then hit the "Search for Keyword or Phrase" button and - what do you know - it is John 14:27 (at least in the NASB - ) . . . .

    As always Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My own Church

St. Petri Bruce SD